Sunday, April 28, 2013

A realization to the meaning of relationships

Balancing what the mind says and the heart wants


Several years ago, I had a good friend ask me a mind boggling question that didn't make sense at the time.  The question was:
"Do you know why God placed our heads above our hearts?"
As a young lady who was slowly coming out of her shell in this crazy world, that kind of question never entered my mind.  After all, I have never really been in a real relationship and the world was my oyster.  I was new in the country, just starting college, getting to know people and acquiring quite a number of friends.  I was (and believe to still be) intellectually smart, not visually repulsive, and quite the funny girl.  I was thrilled to have gotten the freedom to "live", especially since my parents, as most Asian parents are, were strict in allowing me to have an adventurous adolescent life or date.  All I knew was I had caught the attention of a few guys, and a few guys caught my attention as well.  C'est la vie, right?

Keep in mind that during this time, I was talking to (and talking about) a few selected guys who seemed to take an interest in getting to know me.  And like a person who seemed to have been so parched, I took in what attention I could get and drank it all down as fast as I possibly could.  Yet, when my friend asked me a serious question such as "Do you know why God placed our heads above our hearts?" I was taken aback and literally speechless.

Take a moment, if you will, to think about this question.

Your heart is strategically placed inside your chest because it is the central station for blood to flow.    In figurative terms, the heart is what makes us emotional and allows us to feel intuition, passion, love, anger, hate, disappointment and everything in between.

The brain, however, is supposed to be the central system that allows you to function.  You can't think or move without it.  Your mind is what determines how smart you really are.  But the thing is, you cannot be pronounced "dead" if your brain stops.  However, if your heart stops, you would most likely have a toe tag around your big toe.

For those of you who are just beginning your path to finding real relationships, the answer to the question is this:
God placed our heads above our hearts because he wanted us to think before we feel.  Love, as grand as it is, is not always enough when it comes to being in a relationship.  We need to take the time to mold it, understand it, work on it, and accept it for its perfection and flaws.
This applies to any relationship you build, whether it is for love, friendship, family or work.  So, remember to use your head first before you use your heart.  Otherwise, you may just end up with regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment